- What is a clamshell package?
- What’s the difference between stock and custom clamshells?
- What types of products can be packaged in clamshells?
- How can you seal a clamshell?
What is a clamshell package?
- A Clamshell is a type of package that fully encapsulates and protects product(s) between two thermoformed sheets of plastic material.
- A Clamshell usually has a hinge so that is can close to itself. There are also Clamshells without hinges that also fully encapsulate the product (s) in a rigid thermoformed material.
- The Clamshell typically has an outside flange which gives the customer the ability to heat seal the package for security.
- Clamshells have numerous uses. They can be custom molded to adhere to the contours of an item or serve as a clear plastic container for holding multiple loose products together.
- There are numerous types of clamshells. For instance a Tri-Fold clamshell or a custom clamshell (with a foot feature) offers maximum versatility in merchandising. These packages can hang from a hook, stand on a shelf, or sit upright within a display or club store pallet.
- A printed insert card markets the product with graphics and product information while the clear plastic provides excellent visibility and protection.
- Many companies and retailers prefer a full perimeter seal of a clamshell package, this makes them tamper and theft resistant. Clamshells are recloseable and reusable if left unsealed.
- Clamshells service multiple different industries and products (Medical, Pharmaceutical, Electronics, Hardware, Office Supplies, Food, etc.). The possibilities are endless when it comes to thermoformed plastics.
What’s the difference between custom and stock clamshells?
Stock clamshells have the following features:
- No tooling costs
- Recloseable and are reusable clear plastic containers.
- Can come in many standard sizes to closely fit your product.
- Can be sealed to protect against theft and tamper resistance.
- Designed to hang from a peg.
Custom Clamshells have the following features:
- Custom designed package that follows the unique contours of your product.
- Custom designed package that meets your requirements exactly and without compromise.
- Many design features of a clamshell that you can use are interactive consumer try-me features, embossing, tri-fold or footed packages, club packs, or multiple contoured cavities.
- Designs may include recycled materials.
- Custom insert cards printed to provide the needed marketing data.
What types of products can be packaged in clamshells?
Clamshell packaging is used in a variety of markets and product categories, including:
- Club stores and major retail chains
- Home improvement, hardware, plumbing, automotive
- Health and beauty, cosmetics
- Household goods
- Office and craft supplies
- Toy Industry
- Sports and recreation equipment
- Medical Industry
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Food Industry
How does the clamshell seal?
- SouthPack is a One Stop Source for both thermoformed clamshells, printed insert cards and Contract Packaging Services. Ask your SouthPack account rep about the many options available for sealing clamshells.
- Clamshells are sealed using a plastic to plastic heat sealing method to fuse the flanges (edges) of the package together. SouthPack can provide this simple JAWS hand held direct heat sealer for excellent tamper resistance and theft protection.
- Clamshells also can be RF (Radio Frequency) Sealed, Ultra Sonic Sealed, Cold Sealed, Over Labeled, UV, etc.
Call 888-SOUTH03, Ext. 16 (888-768-8403) for more information about our Clamshell packaging services.