There are many plastic clamshell packaging options available. Constructed from two pieces of plastic that completely surround a product, they can provide protection for the contained product. Depending on the product and the specifics needed, clamshells can be sealed to provide airtight protection. Additionally, clamshells can be constructed from transparent plastic, making the product inside visible to the consumer. What are some additional benefits of clamshell packaging?
- Attractive: Plastic clamshells create a simple, one-piece design. Clamshells can increase your product’s attractiveness and aesthetic appeal. Similar to other packaging choices, such as blister cards, clamshells allow graphic cards to be inserted, which can, in turn, improve the attractiveness of the product. Other ways in which clamshells can be customized to improve the visual appeal of the packaging is printing the brand logo or other designs directly onto the plastic or dying the plastic a specific color. Clamshell packaging allows companies the freedom and ability to customize their packaging to attract consumers.
- Transparent: Not only are consumers looking for an attractive product, they also feel more confident about making a purchase when they can verify the content and condition of the product inside the packaging. Many brands elect for clamshells because it is an affordable way to provide consumers with peace of mind when shopping for a product. Packaging designers can help create strategic cutouts to display specific parts of a product, providing consumers with added visibility.
- Enhanced Security: Because of the protection that is offered by clamshell packaging, many companies elect to use it to secure high-end products. It is common to see clamshell packaging in retail settings, as it protects the product inside from outside tampering. Also, plastic clamshells can prevent damage and temperature changes that the product is exposed to during shipping and handling. This is especially important for food, drug and other highly regulated products, as exposure can result in lost revenue and possible legal consequences. Clamshell packaging also reduces the risk of damage and contamination, as products are protected against poor storage conditions and improper handling.
- Ease of Use: One of the biggest disadvantages consumers experience with plastic packaging is that they can be very difficult to open. While this feature is ideal for transportation to shelving, it is less ideal for consumers. Compared to other types of plastic packaging, clamshell packaging provides consumers with easy access to the product inside. Clamshell packaging is more easily opened and can be resealed if necessary.
- Versatility: Plastic packaging is widely used for a variety of products due to its customizability to accommodate and protect products regardless of size or shape.
If you are looking to change your current product packaging to plastic clamshell packaging, contact SouthPack today! Our packaging design engineers with years of experience can help you find the right packaging solution for your products.