In a world that is fast-paced, and full of big-box stores and e-commerce, it is no surprise that many consumers don’t put much thought into the amazing world of product and food packaging. Here are a few fun facts that you might not know about the amazing world of packaging!
- Worldwide roughly $150 Billion is spent every year on product packaging.
- The global packaging industry grows approximately 3.5% every year.
- About 90% of all U.S. Products are shipped using corrugated cardboard packaging.
- In 1871, corrugated was first patented, and was first used to wrap bottles and glass lantern chimneys.
- The U.S. corrugated packaging industry employs over 70,000 people.
- In North America, the corrugated packaging sector has the largest segment of production facilities, totaling over 1,500 facilities.
- On average, consumers will have formed an opinion on a brand within the first seven seconds of seeing a product. This shows how important custom packaging can be in creating a good first impression on potential consumers.
- Research has found that businesses have seen a 30% increase in sales, if they focus on product packaging.
- Sustainable, eco-friendly product and food packaging is increasingly popular. In fact, two-thirds of Americans report that sustainable packaging factors into their purchase making decisions.
- Most consumers consider a products packaging to be equally as important as the brand itself (10% vs. 12%).
As you can see, there is a lot that goes into creating the right packaging for food, cosmetics, and every other type of product consumers purchase. Whether you are looking to design your own eco-friendly packaging or are interested in learning more about the fascinating world of packaging, check out SouthPack today!